2 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Crisco
5 Tablespoons cold water
1. Sift the flour and the salt.
2. Mix in half of the Crisco with a pastry cutter or two knives.
3. Add the remaining Crisco and cut with the pastry cutter, creating small, pea-sized balls in the dough.
4. Add the water, a little at a time, incorporating it with a fork.
5. Gather the dough with your hands and divide into two equal parts.
6. Cover each part in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Ready to bake:
Oven temperatures are as follows:
- One crust only (one half) : 425 degrees / 15 minutes bake time
- Covered pie with cooked filling : 425 degrees / 10 minutes bake time; lower heat to 350 degrees / 50 minutes more bake time
- Covered pie with uncooked filling : 425 degrees / 10 minutes bake time; lower heat to 350 degrees / 20 minutes more bake time
7. Preheat oven according to type of pie you are making.
8. Place one half of the dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll out with a rolling pin.
9. Place the crust in the bottom of a pie mold.
10. Place filling of choice over the crust. Pictured below is guava and cream cheese.
11. Place second half of the dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll out with a rolling pin (if covering pie). Top the filling with the second crust.
12. Remove excess dough from around the edges and crimp dough with your fingers or a fork. Make an "x" in the middle so the crust doesn't blister or pop.
13. Brush the top pie crust with egg whites, or a beaten whole egg with a splash of water or milk.
14. Bake in the oven as directed above.