8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (divided)
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (if needed; see below)
2 cups sifted flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups (about 2) ripe mangoes, peeled, pit removed and cut into 1/4-inch
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly coat 24 muffin cups with total of 2 tablespoons butter, or
with vegetable oil spray, or line them with paper baking cups (which
will keep them fresh longer). If not using paper liners, sprinkle
with cornflake crumbs; tap out excess.
3. Stir and toss together flour, baking powder, allspice and salt until
4. Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter in large mixing bowl and beat
either by hand or with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Gradually beat in brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well
after each addition.
batter is blended; it should not be completely smooth. Over-beating
will result in tough texture.
7. Fold in mangoes, walnuts, rum and lime zest. Spoon batter into
prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
8. Bake in preheated oven about 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are
golden and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
9. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes before removing from pans.