Mi abuela was telling me about how much my kids love sweets (no kidding). She then went on to tell me about how flan is the perfect food.
Huevos, leche y azucar - ¿que más quieres?
She does have a point, of course. And many of you agreed with her. Enough to add your own family items to the list of perfect foods - filling, nutritious, wholesome (most of the time) and perfect for a merienda (afternoon snack):
- Vino Sanson with an egg yolk (Danny tells me Vino Sanson is a dessert wine from Spain; this is one of those mythical foods I would only hear of, but never see, whilest growing up).
- A shot of Bailey's is good for the mothers-in-waiting (not enough alcohol according to Mrs. P's abuela).
- Whiskey, honey and lemon, slightly heated, cures a bad cough. Mayra has been having that at her grandma's house since she was a kid.
- Croquetas, according to Grecia. Complete meal indeed - protein, starch, maybe a veggie (if you count the onions in the bechamel).
- Puré de malanga, calabaza and all other root vegetables. My grandmother used to make mashed potatoes, butter only, for me whenever I was sick. Any type of sick. And it is the one thing I still crave when I'm sick and have no ganas (no desire) to eat.
- Beets for good blood. Really, Dina?
- Malta con leche condensada. This was given to kids that were "too skinny". Seriously? When did you ever meet a Cuban that was "too skinny"?
I thought today's commentary was worth a post. I hope you did, too. Of course I left some of your family's perfect foods out. Share them with us here. Who knows, I may have to jump on it for The Project!